In today’s current economical climate, following the recent downturn, all of us have become more aware of our spending habits! We are also all too well aware of the major issue concerning the environment. If you are looking to purchase a new lawn mower, it may or not surprise you to know that in certain online store best seller lists, you will find several push reel lawn mowers, such as the Scotts reel mower.
Your basic choice of mowers amounts to either (i) Gasoline/engine driven. (ii) Electrically powered (iii) Person powered or more specifically, the push reel mower.
So why have these mowers become so popular? Well certainly the aforementioned, environmental and economical, but they really do provide a very viable alternative. As added bonuses, you not only cut out gasoline pollution but you cut down on noise pollution, and you maintain your fitness levels into the bargain.
By way of a review, let’s look at 3 examples that hopefully reflect a useful selection for you to consider. They are as follows:
- Fiskars 6201 18-Inch StaySharp Max Push Reel Lawn Mower
- Greenworks 25052 16-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower With Grass Catcher
- Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower
The”Fiskars 6201 18-Inch StaySharp Max Push Reel Lawn Mower” claims the following features:
- The patent pending InertiaDrive means that compared to other reel mowers it is 60% easier to push.
- The powerful reel provides twice the cutting power meaning that other reel mowers would jam when tackling tough spots
- Its Unique StaySharp cutting system ensures that the blades stay sharper for longer, and avoid the cost of regular blade sharpening.
- It offers a closer edge cut with an inset wheel design; the uniquely designed discharge chute means grass clippings are cleanly discharged forward.
- Cuts all types of grass, even the toughest
On the plus side, this machine is probably top of the range, and offers some very unique features and is therefore excellent value for money.
The Fiskars is quite expensive and perhaps if you were looking to buy a push reel as a back up to buying a gas driven or electric, you may find yourself only able to purchase one only. The mower may not be for everyone, particularly if garden is at all hilly, as it could get tiring.
With the “Greenworks 25052 16-Inch 5-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower With Grass Catcher”
there are no market leading unique feature claims to note other than basic specifications as follows:
- There is a 2-inch rear roller
- Front wheels of 10-inches
- Height adjustment from 1-inch to 2-1/8-inch
- Weight is 26-pounds
- 4 Year Parts & Labor Warranty
- The product carries a 2 times industry standard of 4 Year Parts & Labor Warranty
The last point is backed by the manufacturer assertion that they are confident about giving a 4 year warranty as the product will give a performance of the highest level and reliability. As they do guarantee 4 years at least, it would certainly suggest a model built to last. They also assert a general point of all reel mowers that they will emit ZERO pollution. Also it is estimated that 54 million Americans are mowing lawns every weekend. As far as gas driven mowers are concerned, 800 million gallons of gasoline is consumed each year. It is also suggested that of the gas users, an estimated 17 million gallons of gasoline alone is actually spilt whilst re fuelling. It certainly is food for thought as far as saving money on costly gasoline consumption.
Actually the cheapest model of the three, and a very generous 4 year warranty makes this a very tempting machine to consider. The machine also comes complete with a catcher.
Certain reports that the grass catcher falls off quite easy and is perhaps easier to use without. Although it does jam on sticks and mulch clumps etc, these are easy to clear. Again not so easy up hill, but having said that, a lot of gas/electric mowers are not exactly self propelled, so would probably take the same effort.
Finally “The Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower”
Again the Scotts Reel Mower offers some excellent specifications including:
- A cutting width of 20 inches which is the equivalent of most power mowers.
- Its rear unique 10 inch dual tracking wheel design and tough radial tires are said to give the machine added manoeuvrability and also reduce drag
- The quick snap adjusters give a controlled grass cutting height of 1 to 3 inches.
- 5 heat-treated, steel blades;
The five heat treated steel blades of the Scotts reel mower, offer consistent cutting efficiency and accuracy. The five blade smooth ball bearing reel feature is designed to provide precision and reliability. The mowers tough design incorporates heavy duty steel that is built to last.
The Scotts reel mower, as do the others, offers excellent value for money. The machine does offer some unique features but remains uncomplicated and therefore easy and efficient to use. The price is also very competitive, probably closer to the Greenworks model.
As with the other mowers, the Scotts reel mower does take a certain amount of physical effort, and some have reported that it is perhaps best to keep on top of your grass cutting. In other words it is perhaps best not let your grass grow beyond the natural cutting height, as this will probably make it more difficult.
Hopefully this review has provided sufficient insight to research further into these excellent mowers. As it has already been said, provided the purchaser does not have any unrealistic expectations, the machines will provide the user a very worthwhile alternative on a number of very important levels. For more great information on Scotts reel mower and other reel mowers please visit push reel lawn mowers